Types of Treatment
There are two main approaches to treating clinical depression:
- Antidepressant medication
- Psychotherapy (counseling)
Both antidepressants and counseling have benefits. Usually, depression is most effectively treated when an antidepressant is used in combination with counseling.
However, each case is unique. Not everyone who is depressed needs medication. In some cases of mild to moderate depression, a placebo (sugar pill) has proven as effective as an antidepressant. Some people find that relying on the support of family and friends is enough to eliminate the depression.
To find out which treatment approach is best for you, get in touch with a mental health professional.
Other methods that can help lift depression include:
- Regular exercise
- Stress management techniques
- Ongoing socialization (spending time with family and friends)
- Engaging in meaningful activities
- Regular and consistent sleep
- A healthy diet and eating habits
Next: Treatment Professionals