About Face It
“Through education, online tools, and peer support, Face It works with men to understand and overcome depression.”
- To eliminate the stigma associated with men and depression
- To reduce the incidence of suicide in men
- To provide direct support to men with depression
- To create a peer support network of men who can help other men with depression
The needs of men with clinical depression are unique, misunderstood, and often ignored. Men are far less likely than women to recognize, admit, or seek treatment for their depression. Additionally, men often reject the notion of taking an antidepressant and/or seeing a counselor thus often leaving them without any other formal treatment options to consider. Research is continually demonstrating that mild to moderate depression responds well to lifestyle changes such as routine exercise, appropriate sleep, increased socialization, balanced diet, and stress management. For men with more severe depression the use of an antidepressant, along with counseling, and lifestyle changes are critical.
In order for a man to move beyond his depression, it is critical to use a multi-faceted approach. This approach incorporates the support of family, friends, community, the workplace, places of worship, recreational activities and lifestyle changes. It also requires peer-support, self-examination, and a pledge of personal accountability to be honest with himself about the behaviors, attitudes and activities he engages in that impair his ability to beat his depression.
As a result Face It does not endorse any one individual method for addressing depression. Instead, we recommend an approach that is balanced, thoughtfully implemented, carefully monitored, and — most importantly — accepted and followed by the individual with depression.
- Face It conducts business with entrepreneurial creativity and drive
- Face It operates with transparency, honesty, integrity, and treats every donated dollar and donated minute with the respect and value they deserve.
- Face It aims to be a trendsetter with socially, environmentally and fiscally responsible operations.
- Face It will work tirelessly to improve the state of depression managment and treatment.